The demise of a startup venture is always disappointing. In the case of SpringPad, it was continously compared with it’s large competitor EverNote. Even today (July 7, 2014) it’s domain no longer responses to pings.
ping: unknown host springpad.com
The announcement was made on May 23, 2014 (See below). Within hours, there were regrets and rumors. Days later, list of alternatives, acquire-hire, and Five (5) Pre-morteum lessons (list below) were in writing. 11 days later, multiple alternatives were available on a public spreadsheet, and Microsoft had tools to port data off of Springpad. On the last day of official operations, June 25, 2014 – warning notices were re-issued by the press.
- Announcement: Springpad is Shutting Down on June 25th
- Posted on May 23, 2014, by Katin
We are very sorry to let you know that Springpad will be shutting down on June 25th. At that point Springpad.com will no longer be available, all online and sync features of the mobile apps will stop working, and your personal data will no longer be stored on our servers.
Please know that it is our top priority to help you during this transition. Amidst current rumors we wanted to confirm the news and give you all of the information possible at this time. We are putting the final touches on a new export tool that will allow you to take your data with you. This will include an improved backup file that you can save and use to reference your notes in the future in addition to the option to migrate your data.
In the coming days, we will make the export tool available to all users and developers and will communicate more news about our shutdown on our blog, via email and on Springpad.com. You will then have until June 25th to export or migrate your data.
- RIP Springpad. We will miss you
- May 23, 2014
- Springpad, a productivity app similar to Evernote and Pinterest, is planning to throw in the towel as it admits defeat against its cloud-based notes rivals.
- Google might be acquiring Springpad in acqui-hire deal | BetaBoston
- May 23, 2014
- Springpad App Alternatives: Boston Startup Springpad Engineers and CPO to Join Google | BostInno
- May 27, 2014
- Five Springpad engineers to join Google as Boston-based personal organizer app shuts down – Boston Business Journal
- May 27, 2014
- Five Lessons for Consumer Tech Startups in Springpad Shutdown
- May 28, 2014
- East Coast vs. West Coast
- Product-market fit
- Revenue model
- Business issues
- Distribution and user acquisition
- This Spreadsheet Is a Definitive Guide to Springpad Alternatives
- Jun 3, 2014
- Microsoft releases OneNote Clipper for Chrome, Springpad-to-OneNote migration tool
- Jun 9, 2014
- Today’s the last day to download your Springpad data
- June 25, 2014
- 8 unwritten rules of job searching
- These people did not get the memo.
- This Startup Had Over 5 Million Users And A Great Product. Then It Folded
- The (somewhat) surprising demise of the popular organizing app Springpad–and what happened next.
- Published June 29, 2014